Sunday, September 19, 2010

Our Day At Sturbridge

Traveling into the past with my Gary does find his history RICH! His paternal and maternal roots anchored down on our eastern shores at the beginning of this great land, America. His last name being Flick, may have been involved in carding wool; or his maternal roots of Ingall and Jewell take him to the ports and passages of our eastern shores in the early Massachusetts Colony.In one picture he is standing by a the mechanism of the local sawmill; the man-made damn near the water wheel was 200 years old. Interesting, to say the least.
Of course, textiles are my burning interest and love. Doing things with my hands brings me peace and joy. My dream is to have a loom someday. Gary would be so patient as to help me load the threads he assures me.....:) Early quilts abound here.
Do you want to farm? Didn't everyone back in the beginning of our settlements? A day at Sturbridge is traveling back into the lives of those who worked so hard to settle our land...setting up our laws...clearing the fields....bearing the children that were so all important in their work.
We just had a wonderful day! The air was a little crisp and the leaves just hinting it was about time to break out in all the colors of Fall. I will share more portraits of the Village in days ahead. Get in touch with your past if you like. Travel to where your roots began. It is a great experience and time well spent! A day out with Gary in the area where his ancestors lived and died was just awesome! God Bless!! Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment