Friday, November 12, 2010

Plymouth Rock

Cape Cod was full of fury yesterday on our trip to see the infamous Plymouth Rock. We traveled through the village of Plymouth, Mass; a long narrow town along the shoreline of our land. The sun was shining but the wind was blowing terrifically. We stopped at an Italian Resturant by the seashore and shot some wonderful photos of the waves. They were coming above the sea wall and filling the parking lot with water. I rolled down the window of our truck and immediately got sprayed with salt water from the foamy wave in the picture. We laughed and decided not to park there but to drive back into the village and find some hot pizza for lunch.
The pizza was hot but not our favorite, we admitted to each other today, potatoes on even a cheesy pizza is not what we are use too but I think it is good to stretch our likes and dislikes. My Gary begged me NOT to try it on our pizza I make at home. I agreed.
We asked the folks in the pizza parlor where the "rock" was, because we did not see any signs or info along the way. They said it was right behind main street along the coast. Oh, Ok! So, we are flatlanders!! haha!! When I saw the marble pillars surrounding the Rock below I remember seeing it as a child of 7 when Dad brought a station wagon full of noicy kids to see this bit of history. I stood there and remembered how I felt at that age looking at that rock...all tne wonderful pilgrim stories ringing in my ears...and the rock did not disappoint me, it just seemed smaller now!
The Mayflower 11 bounced around in the bay there, but the wind and cold made it an unfriendly exploration for yesterday, but we enjoyed seeing it and took photos.
We ended the afternoon buying up some t shirts for some grandkids for the holiday gift giving and headed to a Borders' Books in Marlboro, Mass on our way back to our RV. It was a fun day....a quick journey to the sight but lots of talk and laughing as always along the way...we think this would be a great vacation for the families to meet at someday and let the kids enjoy the history too. Quilted Hugs! Kari

1 comment:

  1. I guess Plymouth not only reminds you of history, but also of your colorful childhood! Places like this can bring back good memories. I also remember my trip here when I was a kid. I was too young to understand the significance and meaning of the Plymouth Rock, but I had tons of fun. [Cami Collazo]

    ReplyDelete