Saturday, October 9, 2010

All Aboard!!

Our day on the train started out as a gorgeous one! The temperature was around 70 and the sun was brightly shining.
We drove north around 60 miles and rounded the corner in White River Junction to catch our ride on the Green Mountain Railroad. Gary, being part engineer and inventor at heart, looked the wheel system over quite well and said he "sure would love to be able to take a look at that engine"...!!...My Gary amazes me and I just love this Man!!
We were both in a crazy mood. So, we kept posing for pictures for each other and just relaxing and having fun as the train wound around hills and mountains along the Connecticut River.
The conductor blew the whistle as he approached small burgs along the way. Some of the homes were only reached by boat, to their docks. Now, that would be different! The homes must be warm weather ones, as the River I am sure freezes over in the winter. Oh, how beautiful that would be!! but, the train only runs from May to the end of October.
The train was a part of the Boston Maine Run. In the next post I may just post pictures of the old train that was put on the rail system 2 years before my Grandfather (Poppy) was born...the steam car that ran behind the engine even had a huge wooden beam type frame that held the gigantic, heavy wheels. Our forefathers were so amazing.
The area is just full of portrait photgraphy and this novice keeps finding more pictures that must be taken. For, we will probably never pass this way again, atleast working here in nursing and relaxing and exploring the beauty and the history of our American Roots. The wealth of history here eaks out of the buildings and countryside and speaks out to me to "write! write".... some old barns are huge ones that I imagine was part of the story I read to my kids as youngsters in The Farmer Boy....and some look like they won't be standing either in another 50 years... So, we ponder and we enjoy and we count our blessings to be an American!! Enjoy the ride.....we sure did.... and just take a peak at the next post....not so much writing as just looking!!! Quilted Hugs! Kari please excuse any problem I have with rotating the pictures...heehee I am still a bit "challenged"! God Bless you for making the visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment